Monday, November 8, 2010

This Train is Bound for Glory

Did you know that chapel cars ran on the rails of this country from the late 1800s into the early 1900s?! Chapel cars were sponsored primarily by the Baptists and the Catholics to spread the word across the untamed west. I've been a railfan all my life, and grew up a PK (Preacher's Kid), but it wasn't until a few years ago that I discovered this connection between those two worlds. I got so into it that I developed an experience for our local Methodist church that involved a presentation on the subject followed by a ride on a "chapel car" (well, we turned it into one for the day) on the Santa Maria Valley Railroad, onboard worship service and all. Here are some photos from that event: http://www.worshipweekly.com/090606.html. If you'd like to have one book on the subject, it's the one shown here.

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment